Frequently Asked Questions

Over the past 30 years we have frequently been asked similar questions by our students. Having said that there is no such thing as a silly question, so if your answer is not below, please give us a call and we will be more than happy to help.

Your rent will be due on the 1st of each month from the commencement of your tenancy agreement, this is normally 1st July, a rent schedule will also be included in your tenancy agreement to remind you of this. You can pay monthly, or in any lump sum providing this is in advance. Rent is paid by bank transfer or standing order, unfortunately we cannot accept cash, cheques, or card payment.

If your property is bills included, good news most of your bills will be sorted for you (fair usage policy applies, subject to T&C’s of your tenancy agreement).

If your property is bills excluded, you will need to set up accounts for the following utilities: Gas, Electric, Water, Internet, and TV Licence.

If you are a full-time student and provide us with a valid student ID number, you will be exempt from paying council tax. Should you drop out of university at anytime throughout your tenancy, you will be liable for any council tax charges.

We strongly recommend that you consider contents insurance for your own personal items to ensure that you are covered for any unforeseen circumstances.

We certainly hope so! Your deposit will be protected with an accredited deposit protection scheme whether this be by Harringtons or your landlord directly if you are renting a non-managed property. At the end of your tenancy, we need to inspect the property before being able to return the deposit to you. If the property is generally prepared and cleaned to a high standard, free from waste, we will arrange for your deposit to be returned to you as quickly as possible.

We understand that sometimes circumstances can unexpectedly change, therefore should you decide you no longer wish to continue your tenancy you should let us know as soon as possible. The earlier we know, the more options you have, time is key!

Unfortunately, we are unable to allow you to move your belongings into the property before your tenancy starts. We would hate for anything to go missing when the old tenants leave! We can recommend storage companies if you are really stuck!


You should tell us as soon as possible via our online reporting system through the ‘Request a Repair’ tab. Our maintenance team will then be in touch as soon as possible to assist you with this.

Generally, tenants do not have to cover the cost of maintenance that is in the remit of fair wear and tear. However, in the unfortunate event that you damage the property whether this be an accident or not, or you lose your keys, the landlord will expect you to pay for this.

It is vitally important that you test your smoke alarms at least once a month. Please be aware that the replacement batteries will be the responsibility of the tenants. Should there be an issue that cannot be rectified by renewing the batteries, you must inform our maintenance team straight away.

Bins will be collected by Durham County Council but you must remember to put them out for the bin crew the night before! You can check the dates for each bin collection on their website at the link below.

You will need to remove the bulb from the light fitting, this should have a small label stating the type of bulb. We would suggest you take the bulb with you to the shop to check it against the one you are buying

Any Questions? Contact our team today

Send us a message or check out our FAQ section